Connect with us

Colgate Raiders

Colgate Raiders defeated by UMass-Lowell on Saturday night

Credit: Scott Kinville

A third-period comeback effort by Colgate falls short against UMass-Lowell, Raiders lose their second straight game.

“Really proud of our team for battling through adversity this weekend,” Colgate Raiders Head Coach Mike Harder said after his team suffered a 5-2 defeat at the hands of the UMass-Lowell River Hawks on Saturday night. “We will grow from this and it will certainly make us better prepared for league play in November”.

A shorthanded Raiders team entered Saturday night’s game missing two of their main cogs. Leading scorer Ross Mitton would miss his second consecutive game with an injury, and starting goaltender Carter Gylander would be out as well. Gylander was injured in a collision during Friday night’s game and would miss his first start of the season.

Colgate goaltender Andrew Takacs (#1) guards his net, and teammate Nick Anderson (#27) protects the slot during Saturday night’s game at the Class of 1965 Arena. Photo credit: Scott Kinville.

Andrew Takacs replaced Gylander between the pipes for the series finale against the River Hawks. It was the first start for the sophomore goaltender in nearly one year.

Takacs and his UMass-Lowell counterpart Henry Welsch combined to allow only one goal through the first two periods. That lone tally came off the stick of Owen Cole, who beat Takacs with a shot from the right circle at the 12:01 mark of the second period.

A look at the Colgate Raiders Men’s Hockey 2023-24 schedule

The Raiders fell behind 3-0 early in the third period when the River Hawks scored two quick goals. The visitors started the final frame with forty-one seconds of power play time and took full advantage. River Hawks defenseman Ben Meehan skated the puck down the right side of the Raider’s zone and sent a centering pass to Dillan Bentley – who redirected a knuckleball-type shot over Takacs’s shoulder for a power play goal. Fifty-five seconds later, Cole notched his second goal of the game when he put a rebound off his own shot in the back of the Colgate net.

A determined Raider team mounted a comeback five and a half minutes later. Ethan Manderville scored on the power play at 6:53 to get the home team on the scoreboard. Twenty-four seconds later Levi Glasman wired a shot past Welsch from the right circle, and a suddenly rejuvenated Colgate team was within one goal. The Manderville and Glasman goals were both player’s first of the season.

Ethan Manderville (#14) scored Colgate’s first goal of the game on Saturday night. Photo credit: Scott Kinville.

Two minutes later with the score 3-2, controversy reared its ugly head. A turnover at the Colgate blue line which the Raiders bench and home crowd felt was caused by a trip went uncalled. The sudden change of possession led to a tap-in goal by UMass-Lowell’s Nick Granowicz. After consultation, the officials determined there was no penalty and the power play goal stood.

Granowicz would then finish the Raider’s comeback effort with an empty net goal with 7.1 seconds remaining. The empty netter secured the 5-2 River Hawks victory and weekend series sweep.

The Colgate Raiders return to action and open their ECAC schedule on November 3 at Brown. For more information about Colgate Raiders hockey, visit

The Central New York Hockey Report podcast is available on YouTube, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Colgate Raiders